Coffee is an essential start for millions of people around the world each morning. Caffeine has its perks, but it can cause problems too. Like all drugs, overuse of caffeine has risks. You may want to cut back, If you drink more than 4 cups of coffee everyday. Researchers suggest that consuming more than 400mg of caffeine everyday can cause adverse effects on your health.
Here’s how your caffeine addiction may be hurting your health.
- INSOMNIA - Insomnia is a sign of drinking excess coffee. Coffee inhibits the activity of a neurotransmitter called Adenosine. Adenosine acts as a natural brain tranquilizer. Thus creating havoc in your sleep cycle. Coffee helps you stay active and focused during daytime, but it may negatively affect the quality and duration of your sleep.
- HEADACHE - Drinking a moderate amount of coffee helps relieve headache. But if you drink too much coffee for a long period, it can cause headache and lead to migraine. Coffee is a combination of a stimulant and a diuretic, and when this combination passes through your body, it can overload your brain causing headaches.
- HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE - When you drink excess coffee, more adrenaline is released by your adrenaline glands, which in turn causes your blood pressure and heart rate to increase as it stimulates your nervous system. Elevated blood pressure can cause heart attack and stroke, because it damages the arteries over time. Thus blocking the flow of blood to the heart and brain.
- DIGESTIVE ISSUES - Coffee is known for its laxative effects. But some people complain of indigestion and stomach upset when they consume coffee, this happens when you drink coffee on an empty stomach. Studies suggest that coffee may worsen gastro esophageal reflux disease in some people.
- DIURESIS - Increased urination is a common side effect of consuming too much coffee. Because coffee contains a compound which has a stimulating effect on the urinary bladder. Thus, it increases the blood flow through the kidneys and dilates the blood vessels, making the kidneys produce more waste.